Diary Of
Sgt. William J. Bass
Oct. 8, 1843 - Oct. 19, 1916
Company G
7th Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Index to the William J. Bass Autobiography

Transcribed and edited by Ronald J. Skellie, 2007 for inclusion in the regimental history: Lest We Forget-The Immortal Seventh Mississippi.

“A Short Sketch of My Life While in the Confederate Army From Aug 28th AD 1861 To May 14th 1865”, 65 hand-numbered pages.[manuscript]

Source: Mississippi Department of Archives and History

Provided by George Purvis, 7th Regt. Miss. Inf. Researcher.

William Thomas Jefferson Bass

“Private/Sgt. of Company G, 7th MS Infantry known as Goode's Rifles of Lawrence County under the command of Captain E. J. Goode. The Regiment was organized September 25, 1861 and in December of that year was stationed at Bay Saint Louis, MS. It then started for Tennessee but was recalled at Corinth, MS and assigned under General A. S. Johnston to the Brigade of General J. R. Chalmers. The Regiment, under Lt. Colonel H. Mayson, participated in the Battle of Shiloh. Sergeant of Company G, 7th MS Infantry. Co. G was consolidated with Co. I due to lack of men. W. J. Bass was wounded in Atlanta at Ezra Church on July 28, 1864. He served a total of 4 years”.

EDITORS NOTE: The final manuscript was certainly hand written post-war based on several instances where the author either wrote of events in the past tense or identified locations by post- war names, i.e., “IC Rail Road” [Illinois Central RR] when describing the regiment’s original muster in August of 1861, also “IC Rail Road” when describing the disastrous collision on the Jackson, New Orleans and Great Northern Rail Road near Ponchatoula, LA in February 1862; a comparison of rations while relocating from Pass Christian to Shieldsboro, MS September 1861 to the Atlanta Campaign of 1864.

However, it is apparent that much of the sketch was originally written in diaries or “day books” during the war; and was then compiled in the manuscript after the war. Some portions were probably edited or “cleaned up” by the author, but we find no indication that any of the information was altered as to spelling or grammar to any great extent. Obviously we would have preferred to have had access to the original notes; but their absence in no way prevents us from getting a true, almost daily, firsthand description of the life of men in Company G, the 7th Regiment Mississippi Infantry, the Mississippi “High Pressure Brigade” and the Army of Tennessee.

The sketch seems to have been written by Bass as a diary and covers from April 1861 to May 12, 1865 when he was paroled at Pearl River, MS. The diary is very detailed and describes the movements of Company G “Goode Rifles” from their organization through the Battle of Ezra Church July 28, 1864 where Bass was wounded and sent to the hospital at Macon. His recuperation and furlough is also detailed as he traveled from Georgia to his home in August of 1864. Bass describes how he was attached to an enrolling officer at Mt. Carmel, MS, Lt. Lampkin, while he recuperated and while waiting for a transfer to the 38th Miss. Regt. that was encamped at Summit, Miss. His transfer never was approved so he went home for awhile and then returned to Summit and attached himself to the 38th Miss. at Summit, MS where his older brother James was a captain of Company E until they were ordered to Jackson, MS in probably January or February 1865.

He planned to rejoin his old command; but was dissuaded by friends since no officers remained including his best friend Lt. John Cooper who was dead. Only two other men beside himself were alive after the battle of Jonesboro, and he had no idea if those men survived Franklin and Nashville.

He then joined Col. Griffith’s command [11th and 17th Ark.] in Mississippi performing scouts and guard duty along the Mississippi River in South West Mississippi and East Louisiana until his parole. Being a close friend of Lt. John D. Cooper of Co. G, Bass, shares detailed insights on this brave soldier, who was also a diarist of the 7th Mississippi.

“A Short Sketch of
My Life While in
The Confederate
Army From
Aug 28th AD 1861
To May 14th 1865
Respectfully, W.J. Bass [signature]

Page 2
“ I left my father’s home on White Sand Creek in Lawrence County on the 28th day of August A.D. 1861. Met my Captain, E.J. Goode of Monticello, Miss., commanding Company G known as Goode’s Rifles from Lawrence County Miss. We met at Brookhaven on the I.C. [New Orleans, Jackson, & Great Northern] Railroad about 40 miles west of my father’s home, here our company was mustard [mustered] into service. Left Brookhaven on the 29th inst for Pass Christian, a small town on [the] Miss. coast, via New Orleans La which place we reached on the night of the 31st. . Several companies had preceded us,”

Page 3
“other companies came later on. On the 1st of Sept we marched through the beautiful little town of Pass Christian into the edge of the woods, put up our tents and went into our first camps. I think every man had enough clothing such as blankets, bed spreads etc. for a dozen. Here our regiment was organized as the 7th. Miss. Regiment of Infantry. Remained here in camp until the 29th. inst when we were then ordered to a small village called Shieldsboro Miss I think a distance of about 9 miles crossed Bay of St. Louis and went into camp near Shieldsboro about the 1st of Oct. I think that march was one of the hardest of the war as each one of us carried [enough] for any pack-horse, besides knapsacks we had enough rations cooked and in our haversacks to have lasted us five days and more than we ever had on the GA campaign in ten days. In addition to this we had bed quilts, blankets, [and] spreads rolled up in every conceivable shape. Some had great knives hanging to their sides large enough to cut a man’s head off at one stroke. Here we remained drilling and doing camp duty,”

Page 4
“it was here a great many of the boys taken measles and other diseases incident to camp life. On 4th of Oct I was taken sick with measles [and] was very sick for some time. When able, [I] was furloughed home where I remained until the 29th of November, one of my older brothers carrying me through the country a distance of about 90 or 100 miles to my community. I had now began to realize what it was to be away from home and often thought of my father’s advice which was to remain at home until I was older that I would get enough of the war, as I was then in my 17th year. But my Dear Mother had died about one year before and it did not seem so hard for me to leave home. December and January still finds us in camp on the beach enjoying what was in a camp life. Shieldsboro was a very pleasant place after all. Our boys at least many of them were very rough, they had become to realize that camp life was not what they once expected, and a camp life had began to try them. So we had many quarrels and fights with each other and but few of us escaped as whiskey was plentiful.”

Page 5
“Here we were ordered to leave our knapsacks in a house near the wharf. On the 25th of Feb the regiment taken passage on three different Steamboats viz. Grey Cloud, Oregon, and Arrow. It was here that we lost sight of all our baggage. Our regiment then numbered 1000 or more effective men bound for New Orleans La where we reached night of the 26th inst. Left New Orleans some time in the night early the next morning Feb the 27th near Ponchatoula Station on the IC Rail Road a part of a car and engine was run into our train by an unknown party intending to knock us off into the lake and only missed their plan a few moments. The collision was awful killing a great many and wounding many more which for a time almost demoralized our entire regiment, 21 of our dead were brought up to the Depot at Ponchatoula Station crushed and mangled some beyond recognition The wounded were carried back to New Orleans La of which many died. Some of the boys spent the next day looking for the rascal that caused the collision, but to no effect. Left”

Page 6
“Ponchatoula Station about the 29th for Jackson Tenn., which place we reached on the 2nd day of March 1862. Found everything covered with snow remained here until the 4th inst. Were then ordered South East to Henderson Station where we found a lot of small cabins the winter quarters of some other troops. Remained here a short while on winter quarters left this place for Corinth Miss here we went into camp again, here the water was awful had many of the Army began to get sick. Left Corinth on the 1st day of April 1862 and marched toward Shiloh Church Tenn. to meet the enemy, which was, then in camps near Pittsburgh Landing. We reached a little place called Monterey near the line of Tenn. & Miss., remained there until the evening of the 3rd when we were ordered to move again toward Shiloh Church were ordered to double quick march which was continued for some distant. Halted late in the evening and stacked arms and rested for the night in about one and one half miles from the Enemies lines.”

Page 7
“Early the next morning we were awakened by the firing of the Pickets in our front. We were soon in line and in a few moments could hear the sound of the bugles from right to left to forward march. Soon our sharp shooters or pickets were seen to pass through our lines to the rear leaving nothing between our lines and the enemies. The enemies artillery began to open on us from a hill in front, which was their first encampment. We only halted a few moments and gave them a few rounds with our old muskets, which chambered three buck shots & one bullet. Here I was knocked down but never will know what did it. I recollect trying to get up which I did. We raised the Rebel yell and carried their camps & line. The next engagement by our Brigade I think was about 11 O’clock AM. The growth of the country was oak, hickory & chestnut and the undergrowth was very thick in places and leaves were about grown so the Blue Coats showed plain. This engagement lasted”

Page 8
“some time, but after a while we raised the yell once more which meant get back yanks or we will mix up with you. So I think the next place they halted was near their sick camp near Pittsburgh landing. Here they held us at bay for some time but we finally drove them from their camp down to the landing and many it was said ran into the Tenn. River. We passed through their camps and near the river to the right of the landing where the enemy gunboats threw shell & grape shot at us I think from a ravine that made out from the River. We withdrew to their camps about dark [and] stacked arms, each Regt placing a guard around their arms. It was my lot to be on guard that night and I must say that I was the nearest worn out with fatigue I ever was in life. The enemy began soon after dark to throw hot shells from their gun boats into the camps we had taken, which set the woods on fire that burned to death many of their wounded left on the battle field. It was indeed trying”

Page 9
“ to hear the moans shrieks and cries of the poor wounded Yankees being unable to escape the fire. Still they were Yankees and enemies, which lessened my sympathy. Soon it began to rain but too late for the poor unfortunate wounded soldiers. The next morning everything seemed to be in confusion for the want of a leader as General Sidney Johnson had been killed the evening before. The enemy was allowed to land their forces that had come down the Tenn. River that night, of General Buells command all they had to do was move out and our forces seemed to give them the field that had been taken the day before. By the death of General Sidney Johnson the Confederacy lost one of the greatest victories of the civil war. We were back in camp near Corinth Miss on the 10th many of the soldiers were sick from fatigue and hardships, which we were not accustomed to. We remained in Corinth until the [___] of May when I was taken sick and sent to the hospital at Hazlehurst Miss,”

Page 10
“here I received a furlough for a period of 15 days to go home, remained at home until the 1st of July sick all the time. Reported to the Hospital at Hazlehurst where I remained until the 14th inst. Left Hazlehurst for Tupelo Miss found my command at Saltillo Miss on the 18th Left Saltillo on the 27th for Mobile Ala with my command and reached Mobile on July 31st crossed the Mobile Bay Taken passage on flat cars for Montgomery Ala had a collision of cars near Greenville Ala one killed several wounded of our Regt reached Montgomery on the 1st of August Stopped for a few days not far from the Ala River, here we enjoyed bathing in this deep channel river and swimming across after green corn for rosin ears [corn]. From here we were ordered to Tyner’s Station Tenn. at which place we reached August the 6th. Our Brigade, Chalmers, left Tyner’s Station on August 26th crossed the Tenn. River at Harrison Landing. I being very sick was left at Tyner the army went into Kentucky all the sick being left behind at Tyner’s Station”

Page 11
“ Here I remained sick until the 25th of Oct, a great many of the Army died at this place, from 1500 to 2000 sick were left there. I was moved with many others to the Hospital at Cleveland Tenn. on the Knoxville & Chattanooga R. Road where I remained until the 2nd of November when I joined my command at Bridgeport Ala on their way into Middle Tenn. On the 4th we reached Tullahoma Tenn. Left that place Nov 18th marched three days passed through a little village, Manchester, arrived at Murfreesboro where we went into winter quarters. Here we built our homes of walnut for the winter, remained there quietly in camp until Dec. 19th when we were ordered out on picket near a mill 9 miles north of Murfreesboro, went from there to Lebanon Tenn. with a wagon train after wheat, loaded 160 wagons left about 11 o’clock at night marched 9 miles through the sleet and snow. Stopped at a nice farm fenced with cedar rails of which we made fires, left next morning at day light for Murfreesboro reached our old camp on the 20th all tired after marching”

Page 12
“40 or 50 miles without stopping in the coldest weather in December. Still in our camps and Christmas has passed again The sad Christmas to the cherished ones back home who can tell what another New Year will bring let us hope that it will come with rays of healing and with hopes of consolation to wounded hearts and a troubled land, neither was enjoyed by any of the boys of the 7th Miss regiment as they were expected to be called on to go on picket guard at any hour with two days rations in haversacks. On Sunday morning Dec 28th we were ordered out in line of battle 2 miles North or North West of Murfreesboro, formed line of battle in an open corn field, took what rails we could find and made temporary breastworks then pulled up all the corn stalks in our front went quietly back to our lines to wait the approach of the enemy. About sunset we could hear the roar of cannons in our front, which plainly told us that the enemy were advancing on our cavalry. It began to rain and sleet [and] we had no protection in”

Page 13
“an open corn field in our front. About 300 yards was a dense cedar thicket, these cedars grew very thick, the limbs commenced at or near the ground and as a cedar limb never rots it become impossible for a man on horseback to ride through. By Monday evening the shells from the enemies artillery began to reach our lines, a sharp skirmish taken place between the Yankees and our cavalry, our cavalry falling back leaving the two infantry lines fronting each other. Soon the Yankees occupied the cedar thicket in our front, night came on [and] our videts were compelled to stand guard in the open corn field, everything frozen. Some of the videts had to be brought in as they were so near frozen that they could not walk when the expiration of the two hours came for their relief. This had to be done very quietly as it was always a videts order to fire on any one approaching without warning where two armies were so close together, firing was kept up all night. When”

Page 14
“daylight came it was about like a general engagement. The Yankees were concealed in this cedar thicket and our boys in an open field without any protection. The enemies artillery threw shells at our line from the rear of the cedar thicket over their men” [Think this was the “Chicago Board of Trade Battery” from Illinois] “an attack was made on our left during the day a continuous rattling of musketry and the deafening roar of artillery was kept up all day and far into the night. Tuesday the 30th was a repetition of the same thing.” “Wednesday [copy cut off here…] left wing made a charge on the enemies lines driving them back capturing prisoners and artillery to a distant of 3 or 4 miles nearly perpendicular to our lines in the center, all this time we were behind our breastworks of rails which afforded us but little protection from the enemies shells which were flying in every direction, about 10 o’clock AM we were ordered to charge the enemy in our front in the cedar thicket. We raised the rebel yell but being stiff with cold and the enemy having all the advantage we were”

Page 15
“driven back, we were realigned again and a 2nd charge was made when Chalmers High Pressure Brigade as we were called drove the Yankees from their lines in the cedar thicket. Our loss was heavy, but I think Walthall’s brigade on our left suffered more. It seemed that our left, Walthall’s Brigade, got in about 75 to 100 yards of the enemies lines in the cedar thicket halted knelt down and fired the enemy being concealed gave them the advantage. Our dead was left in a solid line, [a] great many never moved from a kneeling position. Such would have been the case I believe had we stopped with our brigade. Night came on [and] we bivouacked on the battle field buried the dead of our regiment. Next morning Jan 1st either side made no attack. Friday 2nd before daylight our brigade was ordered on the right formed line of battle in the edge of a cotton field north of Stone River, knowing that we were near the enemies lines we gathered everything”

Page 16
“we could find to make breastworks before day light, I found several dead men thinking they were chunks. When daylight came the Yankees began shelling us fearfully. In front of us was a strip of woods about ½ acre wide that extended in our front between our lines and the Yankees, which seemed to be low and wet with thick small undergrowth. The enemies artillery was in rear of this on an elevated point about on a level with our artillery as best we could judge. Here our artillery would shell the yanks out of this skirt of woods called (Hell’s half Acre) while our pickets would take their lines under cover of our cannons in less than one half hour the Yankees would do the same, this was kept up all day Saturday. At night our regiment was ordered out on picket where we had a right sharp fight, this night fighting I always dreaded, was about 12o’clock[when] we were ordered back but never stopped at our original lines,”

Page 17
“but moved off in a Pike Road toward Murfreesboro, marched all the remainder of the night and next day [when] we reached Shelbyville Tenn. in the evening about sunset. All worn out having slept but little in several nights, most of the time it was raining and very cold. Remained at Shelbyville until Jan 7th then marched to Winchester on the 9th left Winchester on the 10th and came back to Shelbyville on the 13thclearing off camp grounds. On the 14th our regiment were quarantined on a little creek about a mile from our brigade on account of being exposed to smallpox I having slept with one of my company who had smallpox two others and myself were separated from the company in a tent some distant off where we remained until the sick man got well. This disease was taken from a Yankee prisoner while marching out by our regiment from the battle of Murfreesboro, as there could have been no other chance. The sick man was”

Page 18
“placed in a tent alone some distant from us, who was waited on by an Irishman in our company who had had small pox. Here I spent a few lonely days thinking perhaps I would take the disease as I had been so completely exposed. We left here on the 1st. of February when we joined our regiment and brigade again. For nearly two years this cruel war has been going on, the best blood of our land has been shed upon its gory battle fields, not a hearth stone has not felt its desolating blights, not a hamlet that has not had its score of mourning clad widows and orphans, Industry has been vandalized and a national debt [run] up to millions, every dictate of humanity every consideration of national and individual interest demands its close. Now is the time for our Statesmen to display themselves for the wielding of that pen which the poet tells is mightier than the sword. This brings us to March 2nd. our brigade (Chalmers) was ordered on picket”

Page 19
“duty on the Unionville Pike 8 miles distant. Here on the 4th inst our cavalry pickets were driven in, the Yankees pressed them within one half mile of our Pickets Camp. Our brigade was formed in line of battle and awaited the enemies approach. We succeeded in capturing their pickets and pursued them to Unionville. We also saved some wagons, which the Yankees had set on fire. Returned to our Camps at Shelbyville on the 8th instant worn out with hard marching, which was no uncommon occurrence. Remained here in camp until April 1st when we were ordered on picket again. We are now no longer Chalmers but Anderson’s Brigade. Came back to camp on the 6th inst without having any trouble with the Yankees this time. Changed our camp ground on the 8th moved about one half mile on the Lewisburg Pike from our original camp. On the 10th inst our Army (Polk’s Corps) was reviewed by General Braxton Bragg commanding the Tenn. Army, there was a fine turn out as our Army at this”

Page 20
“time seemed to be in a good condition and made a fine appearance and acted their part well reflecting credit upon themselves as well as the officers who commanded them. On April 30th we were again ordered out on picket but were relieved soon by General Days [Deas]Brigade of Ala troops. Our army was again visited on the 16th day of May by senator F__lon [James Phelan of Miss] accompanied by Generals Bragg and Anderson. He made a few brief remarks to the brigade sufficient to convince them that he was well able to fill the important position which he then occupied. He congratulated them upon their bravery and the many hard fought battles they were “heroes” of, but still their remained more for them to do yet. May 24th our Brigade moved across Duck River pitched camp and remained here until June 2nd when we received orders to cook 3 days rations and to be ready to move at a moments notice. Left early on the morning of the 3rd inst came out through Unionville Tenn. on the 4th”

Page 21
“all the division moved forward except our Regt and the 9th Miss Regiment, which was left to guard the Ordinance Train.” “The Yankee pickets were driven in by our cavalry. We started back to camp about 2 o’clock P.M. Reached there at 11 O’clock that night. Remained here until June 22nd when we were again ordered out on picket at our same old posting on Unionville Pike. Early on the morning of the 27th we again left our picket camp and came on to Shelbyville Tenn. but never stopped [and] kept on in the direction of Tullahoma Tenn. The Yankees came into Shelbyville the same day capturing a number of General Wheeler’s Cavalry. 28th inst finds us in line of Battle near Tullahoma came about one half mile in front of town it raining very hard here we rapidly formed line of battle, continued to rain all day without cessation. Left Tullahoma about 11 o’clock on the night of the 30th marched all night got to the Elk River little before daylight. Formed line of battle burned’

Page 22
“the bridge across the Elk River and a great many tents. Left Elk River on the 2nd came to a little village, Bristol, where we formed line of battle again, here we remained until our wagon train could get over the mountains. Left Bristol 9 o’clock PM and marched behind the wagon train all night and only came three miles, crossed the Tenn. River at the mouth of Battle Creek on the 4th of July on Pontoon Bridges came to Shellmount where we camped for the night, next morning all the sick and bare footed men were sent on the cars to Chattanooga Tenn. as I did not come under either of the above heads I had to march through mud and over mountains to our present camps which is about 2 miles from Chattanooga, came to Chattanooga on the 13th inst. Here a detail was made for picket guards and was sent on the different roads leading to Whiteside. The brigade left about 5 o’clock PM and marched all night. Came over Lookout Mountain. Stopped about 4 miles below Chattanooga”

Page 23
“ near McFarland Springs [and] cleared off a camp ground. Left here on the 30th crossed the Atlanta Rail Road near Tyner Station marched up the river in the direction of Harrison Landing, bivouacked on the bank of the river. On the 31st we were mustered for pay by Major Lyman of the 9th Miss Regiment. Came back to our former camp at McFarland Springs Sept 1st. On Sept 6th we were ordered to cook three days rations and to be ready to move at a moments warning. On the morning of the 7th our brigade was formed in a parallel line across an old field near our camp. General Hindman, our Division commander, rode out into the arena he was introduced to the brigade by General Anderson, our Brigadier General, after which he delivered a short and patriotic address informing us that we were soon to march against the enemy who flushed with victory would make a desperate resistance but relying upon Southern Armies used a consciousness of invincibility”

Page 24
“we would press forward and victory would perch upon our banners. Left our camp on the 8th taking the Rome GA Road [and] camped near Lee & Gordon’s Mill. Left this place about 11 o’clock PM, marched about 8 Miles. Stopped formed line of battle where we stayed for the remainder of the day. On the 11th inst we drove the Yankees back into a cove or valley carrying our wagon trains About dark fell back in the direction of Lafayette marched in rear of our wagon trains being wearied from marching we would fall asleep waiting for our wagon train to move on. From some cause I know not a noise started from the rear of our Army and a general stampede taken place. A great many were unable to march or do duty from falling and running against trees and rocks. In this stampede every fellow having an idea of his own, some believing that the enemy were on them. We reached Fayette sometimes that night, next morning the 13th we were formed in line of battle near Rock Springs Church,”

Page 25
“some skirmishing on our front. On the 14th marched back to Fayette through a cloud of dust, on the night of the 17th left Fayette marched in the direction of Chattanooga Tenn. About 10 o’clock on the 18th formed line of battle, some fighting heard in our front. On the 19th moved further to the right, crossed the river hearing firing in our front. We bivouacked near the battlefield. On the morning of the 20th we moved forward in line of battle front faced our skirmish line soon fell back in our rear. About 10 o’clock AM we charged the enemy driving them about one mile and a half capturing 4 pieces of artillery and a few prisoners. We were then moved further to the right where we again came in contact with the enemy. We charged the enemy lines twice, but failed to carry them as they had a very strong position on the crest of a hill. We were reinforced and about sundown the enemy surrendered in front of us with a good many prisoners, arms, ammunition etc. We remained on the battle”

Page 26
“field that night sleeping among the dead and wounded. It being right cold we built fires and carried some of our wounded to them. Here I slept as sound as I ever did, awoke about daylight. This brings us to the morning of the 21st 1863. No Yankees near except the dead and wounded, which literally covered the ground in many places where we had fought the evening before. Here our Brigade suffered severely in killed and wounded. It was here our regiment, the 7th Miss, lost two as gallant and efficient officers as the Army could boast, Capt. Robertson of Co. G and Capt. Brister of Co. H. I believe they were both gallant young men. The two companies met and buried them together in the same grave, here I spread my only blanket over them in the grave. The next morning was spent getting off the wounded and burying our dead. Still we come off the task not half accomplished as the ground was very hard and rocky we could scarcely dig a hole deep enough to cover the dead body. I don’t think any of the enemy were buried.”

Page 27
“We left the battle field about 1 o’clock PM moved off in the direction of Chattanooga Tenn. Sept 25th finds us in line of battle again near Chattanooga; perfect clouds of dust can be seen rising up from the streets of that mountain city. 27th building breastworks of logs. Oct 1st rained all day and night for the first time in several weeks we were all glad to see it rain not withstanding that we had to take it as it came. Oct 5th our men shelled Chattanooga slowly all day. On the 10th the Army was visited by President Davis accompanied by Generals Bragg Pemberton [Patton] Anderson and others. Still in our quarters in Chattanooga Valley. On the 28th 29th our artillery shelled Chattanooga from Lookout Peak, slowly and sullenly the Yankees replied. November 1st our Brigade on picket in the valley as the two armies are close promising each other no firing at each other by the pickets on each side, except an occasional shell would pass over from either side. Papers were frequently exchanged between Our Pickets and the Yankees.”

Page 28
“ Nov 17th Robertson’s Battalion Artillery opened early this morning on the enemy on our extreme right, shelling continues vigorously for about one half an hour and then retired. The enemy opened on them wounding a few men, no material damage was sustained on our side. On 22nd the Yankees shelled General Buckner’s wagon train all day, killing two mules and disabled one wagon. The left wing of our regiment, 7th Miss, was sent to guard a bridge on the Chattanooga and Knoxville Rail Road near our Picket line in the valley. The night following the enemy moved in about 200 yards of our line in front of us, tore down houses [and] made breastworks, I think they worked all night. At daylight they began to open fire on us, we were under fire under a bluff below the bridge, [we] had a very good position to hold in case of a charge, but could not do the enemy much damage. We held them at bay until the evening of the 24th when the right wing of our brigade gave way which left us almost”

Page 29
“surrounded. Here eleven of my company was [were] captured [along] with many others of the left wing of our regiment, the remainder fell back and slept in the valley. Here Walthall’s Brigade was driven from Lookout Mountain on [the] evening and night of the 24th capturing many of them. We could see the fighting on the side of the mountain. On the 25th the enemy advanced in force on Missionary Ridge from the valley in front of Chattanooga. All the timber had been cut and rolled down into the valley and burnt in our winter quarters, as there was nothing to hide them from our view. We were in a single line on the top of the ridge with ditches about knee deep. Here we were ordered to hold our fire, as ammunition was scarce. All we would have had to done was shot in that direction to kill Yankees, still were not allowed to do so. Our artillery did good work, I don’t think I ever saw a picture of ancient wars that excelled the scenery. Men falling”

Page 30
“from their horses, our artillery mowing them down by the hundreds. Many sought refuge in our little huts at the foot of the mountain, but our cannon would shatter them asunder, killing many. Finally the enemy kept coming until they were right under us and at last our right gave way and the enemy gained the top of the hill, then our whole line gave way leaving our artillery in the enemies hands, also some prisoners. We reached Chickamauga about 10 o’clock PM on our retreat. Left Chickamauga went in the direction of Ringgold, marched all night and day, passed through Graysville came on to Ringgold where we stopped for the night. Next morning 27th we marched on to Dalton Ga where we again stopped. 29th finds us on picket 3 miles north of Dalton on the Cleveland Road. Never did Bragg’s Army receive such a defeat when our leaving the strong position on Missionary Ridge. No other alternative”

Page 31
“was left but to fall back which we did without any great loss except in artillery which was captured on Missionary Ridge. Dec 1st clearing off a camp ground about 3 miles above Dalton on the Cleveland Road. Dec 14th still doing Picket on the Cleveland Road nothing of interest occurring. 16th a violent storm of wind and rain. 17th very cold. Dec 24th Christmas is fast approaching but under little more favorable auspices than last, it finds us not preparing to meet the enemy but nestled around our little fireplaces in comfortable little cabins of every size, shape, and form that rebel ingenuity could invent. Dec 26th Christmas has passed without any unusual occurrence so far as Andersons Brigade was concerned. Farewell old 1863, Adieu Adieu to the old year a last good bye we lay tribute on thy bier a parting sigh. To memory while sorrows tear leaves the eye. Thy numbered hours are wasting fast the close nearer nearer The New Years Eve it is”

Page 32

The last hours with are Thou will be numbered with the past
Good bye old year”

“January 1st 1864. The new year breaks in upon us this morning but whether it is to be one of prosperity and happiness whether it is to witness triumph of our country’s Cause and the dawn of peace or whether it is to see us involved in darkness and misfortune and a repetition of the national calamity which came upon us in the year just passed be enacted remains veiled in the future But we cherish high and holy hopes for the future welfare of our distracted country. The old year was one of many reverses, the fall of Vicksburg and Port Hudson, General Lee’s disaster at Gettysburg, [and] General Bragg’s retreat from Middle Tenn. But let us heap reproaches upon the old year, let the past take care of the past. Feb 1st still finds us Picketing the Cleveland Road, a many of the Army of Tenn. are reenlisting for the war,”

Page 33
“furloughs are now being granted at the rates of one for every ten until active operations begin. General Johnson reviewed Anderson’s Brigade. I received a furlough on the 4th inst to go home for 25 days but could not return until the 20th of March on account of [General] Sherman’s raid through Miss. It was quite a treat for me to go home as I had been away for nearly two years. March 22nd Snow in abundance, a game of snowball is engaged in on an extensive scale. Our Brigade is now under command of Gen. W.F. Tucker, General Anderson having been promoted to rank of Major General and ordered to take command in the Department of Florida. April 1st nothing of importance. 6th the order for furloughing has been revoked by order of Gen. J E Johnson. 7th Sham battles are being fought by Lt. General Hood and Hardee, the sound of which resembles very much the reality of a Chickamauga or Missionary Ridge or some other important battle.”

Page 34
"April 10th General Hindman reviews the Division General Johnson reviewed the Army on the 19th & 20th. All surplus baggage ordered to the rear by order of Lieut General Hood. April 26th today Generals Walthall’s, Deys , and Mautnigaults Brigade moved to the front for purposes of establishing a new campground. May 1st Preaching by Dr. Tesdell near Lowery’s Brigade, a great many conversions, 84 Baptized by immersion of Hindman’s Division, a great revival still in progress. May 2nd the Yankees occupied Tunnel Hill; today our forces recaptured it the same day. 3rd all quiet as usual large details are made daily to work on fortifications in our front. Very formal breastworks and [forts] are being constructed. 4th ordered to hold ourselves in readiness for any emergency. Left our camp a little after dark on the 5th came out near Potato Hill and bivouacked for the night. 6th heavy details were made to work on breastworks. 7th was spent”

Page 35
“in working on the works. 8th Some skirmishing on our front. 9th Skirmishing again early this morning, continued all day. Late in the evening our company was sent out in front as skirmishers, we had a very sharp engagement for about one hour. After dark we got picks and spades [and] threw up small breastworks on our picket line, [we] worked nearly all night and a little before day light was [were] ordered away and came on in the direction of Dalton. Got with our Regiment below town, came on about 12 miles below Dalton, about faced came back near town and stopped for the night. 12th marched around about Dalton all day went up on the right of our line where the cavalry was fighting the enemy. They drove the Yankees back killing a few and capturing 8 or 10 prisoners. We came on back 7 miles below Dalton and stopped for the night, all very tired. The enemy, Hooker’s Corps, made several assaults on Dug Gap but was repulsed with heavy loss.”

Page 36
"May 13th formed in line of battle near Resaca, Ga, our brigade being in reserve for General Walthall’s Brigade. On the 14th the Enemy attacked our line in force, but our men held their ground. We, the reserve, were exposed to an enfiladed fire, both lines suffered greatly. Our regiment suffered worse than if we had been engaged. Company G only numbered 9 men, 4 were killed, and one wounded who died shortly afterward. Shell and solid shot rained upon us with terrible effect. On the night of the 14th we dug ditches which protected us from the cannon. 15th was a repetition of what was enacted the day before, fighting was kept up all day without intermission. Left our line on the night of the 15th fighting was kept up all night, the enemy evidently knowing that we were leaving our position. We crossed the Ostenula River at Resaca and came on in the direction of Calhoun. The Yankee Cavalry captured the Hindman’s Division Hospital [and] burnt up a great many ambulance wagons, destroyed all the medical stores, [and took] taken many horses.”

Page 37
“16th line of battle near Calhoun 6 miles below Resaca Moved in in Direction of Kingston. Here we passed through beautiful country thickly timbered with oak and occasionally a towering pine lifting its lofty head high above the shady blackjacks below.” “17th formed line of battle near Cassville on the evening of the [17th] the enemy charged our cavalry in the town our battery opened on them and then made a hasty retreat. They soon got their cannons in position and commenced shelling, doing some damage. Our batteries kept up a fire; all the while a great portion of the night was spent throwing up breastworks. We left a little before day light [and] crossed the Etowah River on the railroad bridge. On the night of the 20th we bivouacked 3 miles south of the River, above mentioned, [and] remained here until the 23rd when we moved up the Etowah River about 2 miles and stopped for the night. On the 24th we resumed our march through the Allatoona Pass. Here we left the railroad to our left [and] formed line of battle near New Hope Church on the 25th our”

Page 38
“ regiment deployed and moved to the front, heavy fighting on our right about 4 O Clock PM and continued without interruption until dark save only an occasional pause as if both sides had stopped to breathe or breathe a sigh over the falling brave. A part of Stewart’s and Stevenson’s Divisions were engaged.” “A scouting party was ordered to reconnoiter after dark by order of General Hindman [of] which expedition I was a member. We approached the enemies picket line and succeeded in capturing a staff officer belonging to the 161. New York Regiment belonging to General Hooker’s Corps. [Clearly the original indicates ‘161 New York’, however, the 161st NY was not in Georgia at the time and was not a part of Hooker’s Corp. Either Bass made a mistake when copying from his diary while writing the autobiography or the officer lied about his unit. Either is possible; but a third option could be that if he did make a transcription error, the unit closest to the 161st was the 141st New York which was in Hooker’s Corps. The question now is it possible to identify this captured staff officer. We will leave that search to others.] “The scouts were commanded by Lt. J.D. Cooper of Co. G 7th Miss who is now in possession of a fine pistol and the sword worn by the officer at the time of his capture. Great credit is due Lieut. Cooper for the manner in which he conducted the party, it being dark and not having any knowledge whatever of the enemies picket lines. Our instructions were to capture a videt picket if possible that we might get some information about the enemy in our front. We had succeeded in getting near their camp and this”

Page 39
“officer was posting a picket or camp guard. I carried him to General Hindman’s headquarters that night. On the 26th [we] moved to the right, threw up works best we could under [the] cover of bushes, which we arranged for that purpose. 27th we were shelled all day by the enemy [with] heavy skirmishing in front all the while. [We] were relieved on morning of 28th by Lowrings [Loring’s] Division. We then moved toward the right but came back again.” [Flashback] “The enemy made an assault on the night of the the 27th on General Cleburne’s Division but was repulsed leaving 700 dead on the field”

[29th] “We relieved General Govan’s Brigade and taken our position in the ditches. Everything now is comparatively quiet today ‘Sunday’. Monday 30th skirmishing and occasional shell from some watchful cannon. The enemy attacked our Picket during the night, which created some little excitement but resulted in nothing serious. On 31st [near dusk] our entire division was advanced forwards General Hindman’s [Army] drove the Yankees into their works but held [and all returned] to their former positions”

Page 40
“Our loss was severe, all the officers of the battalion of Sharp Shooters were killed or wounded. The charging of the enemy’s pickets in our front was an example of unequal bravery in the history of the war. Our pickets consisted of the Battalion of Sharp Shooters and part of the 44th Miss Regt. They charged through an open field upon the enemy in a skirt of woods and was crossed fired on all the way as far as they went although exposed to an enfilading fire they followed the Enemy until near their Breastworks.” “June 1st skirmishing and night attacks are the ruling order. The Yankees has made several attempts to storm our works all of which has been signally repulsed.” “June 4th Skirmishing still continues without secing [ceasing]. [We] left our breastworks near New Hope Church on the night of the 4th. Came off in the direction of Marietta Ga near loss mountain at which place we again built breastworks, worked all night again ready for the Yankees. 6th busy arranging an abattis in our front of our works. 7th all quiet. 8th moved upon a range of”

Page 41
“hills East of the railroad. 9th preparing more works as usual. About 10 o’clock PM our Regt was ordered on picket, skirmishing in our front. We were relieved on the evening of the 10th came back to our breastworks where we remained until the evening of the 14th when we moved to the right, Lowring’s Division taking our place. Lt. Genl L. Polk was killed today by an unexploded shell from the enemies lines.” On the evening of the 15th we moved on the right of Stevenson’s division and threw up works. 16th on Picket, skirmishing continues and occasional shelling is indulged in by both parties. We were relieved at dark by the 41st Miss. Regt a little before day light” “We were in line and moved toward the left, went down the line about 4 miles, heavy cannonading and skirmishing was kept all day.” “Not withstanding the rain pored down in torrents. About 4 o’clock PM we started back on the right. Came in rear of our original line got there about dark drenched to the skin muddy and worn out was ordered at once to entrench [and] make breast works”

Page 42
“by digging ditches for protection. 9 o’clock PM we received orders to be ready to move at a moments warning.” “ left about 11 o’clock PM came on about 2 miles in the direction of Marietta. Still continues to rain. Halted in a little oak thicket, slept until morning.” “ on the 19th moved to the right of Kennesaw Peak where details were made to build forts & breastworks” “20th left about 4 o’clock PM came about 2 miles below Marietta and camped for the night.” “21st ordered to have our guns in good condition and to be ready to move at any time. About 3 o’clock PM the brigade was ordered on picket. Early on the morning of the 22nd our Regt was ordered to the front. Got pretty close to the yanks. Deployed and moved forward to the brow of a hill where we skirmished with the enemy all day. The enemies pickets tried to advance several times, but was repulsed in every attempt. Heavy fighting on our left wing in which Brown’s and Reynolds’ Brigades suffered greatly. We were relieved about 4 o’clock PM, moved back under a terrific fire of shell which killed a few and wounding many of the brigade. 23rd finds us”

Page 43
“again working on breastworks, skirmishing and cannonading in our front. About 4 o’clock PM 24th we moved about ½ mile in front of our main line and by night we had very strong breastworks and were sleeping quietly when orders came to get up and be ready to move. Left about one hour before daylight came a very circuitous route for about 3 miles to the left where we again threw up breastworks. Worked on them steady all day no shell or balls coming over us, which is a powerful incentive to exertion.” “Here the care worn veterans of Tucker’s brigade as allowed one more night of sweet repose.” “26th was a calm and quiet day on our part of the line, but the echo of the guns from proud defiant Old Kennesaw Mountain died away with mournful cadence along the valley before us. 27th was ushered in with a boom of cannon and the never ceasing report of the sharp shooting rifles. The enemy attacks Generals Walker & Cheatham’s Divisions and was repulsed with heavy loss, a great many prisoners and several stands of colors were”

Page 44
“captured. One stand of colors was planted upon our works, but the brave beacon was pierced with many balls. The enemy advanced 3 lines of skirmishers to drive in Bakers, Gibson’s, & Stovall’s Pickets, but failed in every attempt. 28th on picket nothing of importance occurring today. 29th today was an unusual quiet day, scarcely a rifle or cannon was fired to disturb the stillness that reigned. 30th Muster for pay after which a large detail was made to work on a fort near the Melton’s House. July 1st was quiet until about sundown when a battery from the enemy open on a small fort in our front doing no damage. Left this line about 12 o’clock PM Moved off by left flank came about 4 or 5 miles halted.” “3rd Finds us again entrenching, late in the evening ordered in picket we relieved the (9th?) & 10th Miss. Regt. July the 4th All Yankee Dom is alive with the ____ strains of soft music from a hundred bands, Hail Columbia and Yankee Doodle seemed to be the favorite airs. The Yankees advanced about 11 o’clock AM drove in our videt pickets and”

Page 45
“continued regular siege of sharpshooting. About 3 0’clock they charged our Picket line, drove in the Pickets on our left wing [of the 7th Miss-probably 5 companies] from their redoubts and as a natural result our line had to fall back formed new line. Skirmishing until night when we were relieved by the 9th Miss Regt and came back to our works. About 2 o’clock at night we were waked up ordered to move off as quickly as possible.” “Again moved by the left flank, came about 8 miles formed a line of battle near Turner’s Ferry on the Chattahoochee River.” [This location is east of the mouth of Nickajack Creek on the Chattahoochee near present day Holloway formerly Bankhead Highway and at the time Turner’s Ferry Road where it crosses the Chattahoochee west of I-285 and along Oakdale Road.] “5th was spent in erecting brush harbors over our ditches which was exposed to the burning rays of a July sun the ditches being previously dug by Negroes and pressed for that purpose. The Yankees threw a few shells over into our lines wounding & killing a few of our men. 6th Shelling continued all day. 7th was a repetition of the same thing About dark our batteries opened on the Yankees and one of the grandest artillery duels of the war ensued. It was a beautiful as well as a dangerous sight, it continued with”

Page 46
“unequaled fury for nearly two hours. 8th Shelling commenced early in the morning [and] continued all day. About 9 o’clock our regiment was again ordered on picket, [we] relieved the 10th Miss Regt pickets. There was a great deal of danger in relieving our pickets, the Yankees would shoot at every noise; we could only relieve the pickets at night. We had small pits dug and 4 men remained in each pit, these pits were called redoubts.” “The 9th was a miserable day, one of the worst the 7th Miss experienced on picket. Their Sharpshooters, the enemy, kept up one continuous fire the entire time. They also had Sharpshooters in rear of their line of pickets in front of us with long ranged Globe Sited guns that played havoc with us. Of times they were in boughs of trees and too far for our guns to reach them. When we could locate them we often located them by the puff of smoke from their guns. The enemies cannon would shoot at our little ditches and cover us up in them with”

Page 47
“dirt, their cannons being on elevated points. We suffered from the hot broiling sun also. I cannot describe how terrible this day was spent. We withdrew quietly from our picket line about 1 o’clock AM crossed the Chattahoochee almost one mile above Turner’s Ferry on pontoon bridges which was taken up as soon as we crossed.” “The railroad bridge was burnt about day light, the light we could plainly see as we moved slowly along in the direction of Atlanta” “Why we evacuated our line on the other side of the Chattahoochee River I shall not say, history in the future will show.” “We stopped about 3 miles south of the river on the 10th. We were ordered back to the river on picket where we remained until the morning of the 12th. when we were relieved by Stovall’s Brigade. Came back about 3 miles on the Atlanta Road where we are at present in line.” “The Yankees continue to shell us from the West side of the river as I suppose to [yield] to the force of a long practice custom,”

Page 48
“doing no damage. They may have caused some Reb to have a wet shirt for it rained all the time and there are some houses near where the guards stay to which many go to find shelter and when they think a number has collected they begin shelling again.” “By flanking, Sherman has gradually forced General Johnson to fall back until we find him forming his tired veterans around Atlanta, that modern Sardonopalus the great center around which the Confederacy seems to revolve. But whether flanking or fighting will be instituted South of the Chattahoochee remains to be seen perhaps for duration and the fierce obstinate nature of the conflict. The present campaign is without parallel in either ancient or modern history. It is now over 60 days since the opening of the campaign few of those days but there has been more or less fighting along our lines. Those were followed by uneasy nights of incessant toil often fighting building breastworks worried nights of restless anxiety with”

Page 49
“the cold damp ground for our beds sleeping on the wet leaves or branches of trees some times on rails to keep us out of the mud and water and even then our very uncomfortable beds are rendered more so by the pattering bullets which come to disturb our slumbers.” “The bloody campaign is yet dragging its slow length along like a Lion at bay, we turn now and then with desperation upon our relentless virtues disputing every inch of ground making every Valley and Mountain a Thermopoly, it is sad to contemplate the sufferings of the people particular the noble women and children in those parts of Georgia where the Army pass through, great many instances they have left their homes of luxury to find a more secure retreat in the wild woods. Around such sad pictures of old and young grey haired matrons timid girls may be imagined but cannot be described. 15th The Army visited by General Bragg [as] he passed through our camp to General Walthall’s Brigade, a great many followed after”

Page 50
“him [and] seemed to be anxious to see the face of their old commander. After reaching General Walthall’s Brigade, loud cheers were heard for a speech from General Bragg who told them that he was no hand to speak, that the best speech he had ever heard was made by them in front of the enemy with their muskets and it won’t afford him much pleasure to be with us again on such an occasion. He said that he had been far from us, but he could assure us that we had not been forgotten by him.” “17th 11 o’clock AM ordered to be ready to move at a moments warning. About 3 o’clock PM moved on the right about 2 miles where we went into camps, some cannonading in our front.” 18th General Joseph E. Johnson relieved from the Army of Tenn. by the war department, Lieut. General Hood takes command.” “All quiet in camps until late in the evening when we were moved to the [-------] of General Claiborne’s division at which place [we remained until ____ o’clock AM] Stopped for the night” “19th in line of battle again, soon commenced entrenching worked until”

Page 51
“2 o’clock PM were then ordered to move to the right leaving our ditches that we about completed. Moved about [.5] miles and remained in line for the night’ “20th Early in the morning taken up our old trade, entrenching and making preparations to meet the enemy. 9 o’clock AM Regt was ordered to the front to support the 9th Ky Regt of Cavalry, we were deployed for skirmishing. The enemy charged our cavalry driving them back to our line. We held them back and skirmished with them until 3 o’clock PM, when they charged us with a heavy line of infantry driving us back to our reserved Picket Line” “We were then ordered back to our regular position in line where we spent the night in erecting an abattis in front of our works. This was done by felling trees toward the enemy and making them sharpening the limbs so as to prevent the Yankees from getting to our works should they charge in” “21st the Yankees begin shelling early in the morning from several different fronts doing but little damage. Heavy skirmishing on the left by our artillery, which was kept up _____. At 5 PM and left our position and”

Page 52
“fell back about ¾ mile of a mile to the fortification around the city of Atlanta where we spent the most of the night in making our works stronger.’

“22nd heavy skirmishing in our front about day light, Yankees cheering on works that we had left the night before. 11 AM the enemy commenced shelling our works furiously from several points which they kept up all day”

“About 2 o’clock PM we were ordered out of our works. It was a movement that we were surprised at knowing that the enemy had works and the movements plainly told us that we had them to charge. We moved through an open field in two lines Our Brigade supporting General Manigault’s Brigade of Ala. The enemies cannon mowed us down in a [hard] manner, but our shortened ranks would come up again and moved steadily on. We were come in about hundred yards of the enemies lines when [our regt got in a] skirt of timber. Gen’l [Maney’s or Manigault’s] Brigade got in our way [but] our brigade following with great skill and courage carrying the enemies works and capturing 600 prisoners and 21 pieces of artillery and several stands”

Page 53
“of colors. The enemy reinforced and we were driven back to our works only carrying off 6 pieces of their artillery. The enemy was located in splendid breastworks that had been made by our army before we reached our main works around Atlanta. The enemy was in their works and fought stubbornly. We only fired once before we mounted their works, several of our boys were killed by the enemy. While on their works we used the butts of our guns. Our loss in the Brigade was 21[221] killed. In front of this line is where the Yankee General McPherson was killed. Our army seemed to remain still, officers telling us that we would be reinforced soon and the captured artillery would be taken to the rear, while it looked like thousands of bluecoats were in front of us in confusion. At last they rallied their men driving us back to our original breastworks around Atlanta.” “The next day, 23rd, was spent in our works reading Yankee love letters that we had taken from their knapsacks.” “I must say that I never read but one decent letter of among the ____ most of them seemed written by low characters of both”

Page 54
“men and women. Late that evening our regiment was ordered out on picket guard in front. Relieved the 10th Miss Regiment, some skirmishing in front all night, it being a beautiful moon light night. Next morning Sunday 24th still skirmishing in our front, neither party seemed to want to observe the Sabbath. We were relieved at 5 o’clock PM by the 9th Miss Regiment, returned to our works. 25th finds us still skirmishing but little cannonading, large details were sent from our brigade to work on the fort and erecting abattis in front of our works. This was done by felling trees towards the enemy and trimming or sharpening the ends of the brush to prevent the enemy from charging our works successfully. But will say right here we made such preparations often but the Yanks were never silly enough to try them.” “On the 26th was a repetition of what occurred on the day before. But on the 27th the rattling of musketry and the deafening roar of cannons are still kept up along our lines of both sides The enemy abandoned their [left]”

Page 55
“this morning which rested on the Augusta R. Road near the battlefield of the 22nd inst leaving their dead unburied and several wagons loaded with tools, also a great many stands of small arms were left in the field. About 10 o’clock we were ordered to be ready to move at a moments warning 3 o’clock PM we were moved to the left Marched until about 11 o’clock halted on the edge of town and slept the remainder of the night. Lieut. General S. D. Lee taken command of our corps known as Hood’s Corps. About 11 o’clock AM on the 28th we marched about 2 miles in a North Western direction and engaged the enemy in their works near what was called the Lick Skillet Road. We succeeded in carrying the enemy’s works in our front of our Brigade but could not hold them. We made several charges but could not carry them [any more] the enemy were in their breast works in the woods while we were in an old field in front of them and [felt that no]”

Page 56
“other commanding general in the Confederate Army would have exposed his men in such a way. Only General Hood who was then commanding the Army at that place as he had been just been put in General Joseph Johnson’s place who had been removed by the Department, which was one of the greatest mistakes of the war. I was wounded in one of these charges and was carried back to a field Hospital some 2 miles distant” “I understand that our command fell back about one-half mile that night our loss was great much more than the Enemy as they had all the advantage in every respect. Generals Lowring [Loring], Walthall and Stewart were wounded in that battle.” “On the 29th inst. I was sent from the Division Hospital on the railroad to Macon Ga. About 7 o’clock AM we reached Jonesboro distant 30 miles at 11 o’clock AM we were informed that a Yankee raid had cut the railroad 2 miles below there. The West Point R. Road was also reported”

Page 57
“cut. The trains of wounded were ordered back to East Point 3 miles of Atlanta [and] reached there late in the evening. The Hospital were crowded with wounded, a great many had to lie on the ground without shelter with but little to eat, while a great many had never had their wounds dressed.” “On the 30th preparations were made for the wounded, several died near me. The number of wounded here was said to be 2000. A great many limbs were amputated and the most of them seemed to be doing very well.” “I had not yet heard of the casualties of our Brigade.” “On the 31st left the hospital and taken train again to Macon GA, met another train of soldiers and had to go back to Atlanta again where we lay over until 6 o’clock PM when we again taken a train to Macon. We reached Macon 4 o’clock the next morning Aug 1st where we remained until 5 o’clock AM. We were then sent to the Fair ground Hospital where a great many of the boys got furloughs”

Page 58
“to go home. On the 10th all [were] furloughed from my tent leaving me alone. I was examined on the 9th and recommended for a 30 days furlough which was delayed until the (10th?) I left for home on evening of 16th refreshed at the idea of getting to go home once more although I could not help from dreading the trip as my wound was giving me great pain and had been neglected and so many from neglect had contracted gangrene which most always proved fatal. On the morning of the 18th we were detained some time at West Point Ga on account of the rail road being torn up by a Yankee raid of cavalry we were carried by government wagons to where they was all night. From here we reached Montgomery Ala on the following night remained there until the evening of the 19th were then put on board of a small boat and sent to Selma Ala on the Ala River. Reached there on the morning of the 20th. Here we boarded the train for Demopolis Ala. On the road from Selma to Demopolis we were treated well All the kindness of the good ladies of Ala that we could have wished They brought us every thing imaginable to eat.”

Page 59
“The train being laden with wounded soldiers this kindness was appreciated I think by all I begin to feel that we were not yet whipped.” “Reached Demopolis about 12 o’clock [PM] Here we crossed the Tom Bigbee River in as flat I think”

“Taken the train for Meridian Miss which place we reached the same evening where we lay over until the next morning where we boarded the train for Jackson Miss” “Lt. Peter Fairly & myself stopped off at Brandon Miss. Here we separated. I left my knapsack with an old gentleman and marched 14 miles to an old friend of my fathers Rev. Mr. Loftin a Methodist minister where I remained over for the night and was treated with all the kindness and hospitality that any one could wish. The next morning Mr. Loftin furnished me with a mule, saddle, & bridal to ride home on which was very acceptable although the old mule was very lazy and I could not use but one hand to make him get on so I guess it was best for the mule as I was so anxious to get home a distant of 35-40 miles” “Late in the evening wearied and almost worn out I reached the home of Richard Berry”

Page 60
“an old acquaintance of my fathers who used to live in Marion County and often stopped with my father. I felt assured that I would be received gladly in his home but to my great surprise he told me that he had made up his mind that another Confederate soldier should not sleep under his roof. I told him that it seemed very hard that I had been honestly wounded in the front protecting his property to be treated in this manner. Other things I told him that I do not care to mention just here. Mrs. Berry and one of her daughters gave me some fruit and helped me on my mule and directed me to a widow ladies home about a mile distant. I reached this place after dark called at the gate, her little boy came out and told me that his ma was a widow and could not take in strangers. I told him to tell his ma that I was not a stranger. My father only lived about eleven miles distant and besides I was a wounded soldier, she sent me word to come in where I was treated with all the hospitality and kindness that any one could wish, language would fail to express my feelings at this house. Worn out with a painful wound”

Page 61
“which had not been dressed in several days the next morning the 23rd inst left for home. Reached there about 11:30 AM, found my father with plenty of every thing to eat corn, meat, potatoes, etc. also plenty of fruit and melons which was quite a treat for me, but found the condition of the country discouraging. Many of my neighbors had deserted the army and were at home and in fact not far off burning and robbing homes. I remained at home very much discouraged at the condition of our unfortunate country, still was not able to return to my command.” “About the 10th of September I received a letter from my only officer of my company Lieutenant John D. Cooper who was indeed a warm and tried friend of mine. He wrote me a very affectionate and encouraging letter as he was one of those fellows who never thought of giving up. He gave me the general news of the army, which gave me much satisfaction and made me feel that there was still hope for our country. Lieutenant Cooper was at that time the only officer of our company with two other men and myself. Our company had been put into Company I of our regiment some time”

Page 62
“before I was wounded. And on the 31st of September Lt. Cooper [actually August 31st] was wounded in the shoulder at the Battle of Jonesborough, Ga and was sent to the same hospital at Macon Ga where I had been sent. I received one letter from him after he reached the hospital at Macon, he was still hopeful and thought he would recover, but soon afterwards he taken gangrene and died. There was no friend in the army that I thought as much of. We had been on several dangerous scouts in front even once or twice inside the enemies lines he was always cool, brave, and daring I had all confidence in him and could follow him anywhere. Being successful he was often selected on particular and difficult scouts in our front. He always called on me to go with him, this I became tired of but never let him know it. We were indeed bosom friends. I recollect at the Battle of Resaca Ga after fighting all day, several killed and wounded in our company, we were supporting General Walthall’s Brigade our line rested in a small hollow in their rear. The enemy finding our position”

Page 63
“got in range of our lines from their sight sweeping the little hollow, and it looked like all would be killed, as we had no protection that night Lieut. Cooper told me a Secret to deliver to his wife if he was killed and I should escape, which made me feel a little sad, as I had never seen him in the least excited before. I also told him that I had a ring on my hand that I wanted him to return to a lady friend should he be the lucky one to escape.” “My furlough was now about out and would have to go to Brookhaven (a) distant of 40 miles to have an extension. But at Mount Carmel village about 3 miles from my father’s was an Enrolling Officer encamped with a few men whose duty it was to take up deserters and return them and others to their commands. This officer Lt. Lampkin offered me a position in his office until my wound was well which was gladly accepted. My job was not hard had to make out his monthly reports, etc. A short time afterwards I made application”

Page 64
“for a transfer from the Army of Tenn. to the Army of Miss. to the 38th Miss. Regiment of Infantry who were encamped at Summit Miss. Since the surrender of Vicksburg Miss my oldest brother being captain of one of the companies of that regiment. The Enrolling officer at Mt. Carmel gave me a pass until I could hear from my transfer, which I never did. I remained at home some time not contacted [until] I attached myself to the 38th Miss Regiment which was still at Summit Miss remained there about one month 38th being ordered to Jackson Miss I returned home again and made up my mind to go to my command, but friends advised me not to do so as I had no company.” “So I attached myself to Col. Griffith’s command [11th and 17th Ark Cav.] from Arkansas who was there in command of South West Miss and East La. I remained with that command about two months scouting and guarding different points on the Miss River.”

Page 65
“About the 12th of May we were ordered to _____ place of Pearl River, Miss where we were paroled on the 14th of May 1865.”

“Please handle this
book with care
as it is of great
value to the
Bass family”