Richard R. Chaddick
Pvt. John Franklin Roberts
Webmaster's Great-grandfather

John Franklin Roberts, a 5th great-grandson of Huguenot Pasteur Reverend Pierre Robert, was born January 6, 1828 in Amite County, Mississippi. His father, Robert Middleton Roberts, was a veteran of the War of 1812 and his grand-father, Abraham Roberts II served in the French-Indian War, the American Revolution and the War of 1812. His mother, Lovey Jane Taylor, was the daughter of a Christianized Indian, supposedly a minor chief, named Phillip Taylor. John enlisted in the Amite Rifles in June 1861 at Liberty, Amite County, Mississippi. John was a passenger on the train when this regiment had its tragic collision with another train at Ponchatoula, Louisiana on February 27, 1862. John fought at the battle of Shiloh where he was wounded and taken prisoner. After several months as a prisoner of war at Camp Douglas, Illinois he was exchanged at Vicksburg in September 1862. At the battle of Missionary Ridge John lost his right eye, probably from the blow of a rifle butt to the face, and was taken prisoner of war a second time and promptly shipped to Rock Island Barracks, Illinois. On November 11, 1864 he took the oath of allegience and attempted to enlist in the United States Army for frontier duty in the west but was rejected as being physically unfit. John's youngest brother, Lt. Washington Lafayette Roberts, of the same regiment, died during the war from illness. John was married and widowed three times before coming to what is now Evangeline Parish, Louisiana. His fourth wife was Laura Amelia Chaddick, widow of John Stamps and daughter of Richard R. Chaddick. They were married in May 1888 by Justice Eli Clark. They had three children of their own. John and Laura applied for a Confederate pension and he drew the pension for a few short months before John passed away on November 29, 1903 at the home of his son-in-law, Millard DeVille, from complications due to Bright's disease. John was buried in Turkey Creek Cemetery and Laura was laid to rest next to him thirty seven years later. In 2003 they recieved a new headstone and a Confederate memorial service was held in their honor.